ECONOMYNEXT – Sri Lanka’s former Minister of Highways Johnston Fernando has filed a writ application before the Appeal Court to prevent him from being arrested in connection with the May 09 Black Monday violence.
The Appeal Court registrar told EconomyNext that the writ application by the former minister, who has been accused of being involved in the May 09 attack unleashed upon peaceful anti-government protesters, will be taken into consideration in the coming days.
“A date for the appeal has not been given yet,” the Appeal Court registrar said.
However, so far no court order has been sent to the police, preventing the arrest of the former minister, according to the police media division.
On May 17, the Attorney General issued a court order summoning 22 people including Fernando and Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) MPs Sanath Nishantha and Sanjeewa Edirimanna as well as Senior Deputy Inspector General (SDIG) of the Western Province Deshabandu Thennakoon.
On May 24, according to the court order, Fernando was summoned to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) for questioning.
After initial investigations, Fernando was named one of the suspects in the violent attacks on May 09, and the Colombo Magistrate Court issued an order on June 01 to arrest him. (Colombo/Jun08/2022)